SLEEPLESSNESS IS MORE COMMON THAN YOU MIGHT THINK
According to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and the Sleep Research Society, one third of American adults do not get the sleep they need which, for adults, is 7-9 hours each night.
Sleep deprivation can affect many aspects of our health, including our immune system, our cardiovascular health, our hormone levels, our brain function, and even fertility.
What causes sleep deprivation? There are many things that may prevent us from getting a full night’s sleep. Anxiety, pain, depression, using electronic devices before bed, a noisy sleep environment, and consuming too much alcohol or caffeine can all interfere with healthy sleep patterns.
Whether you suffer from insomnia, a disorder in which a person has trouble falling asleep or staying asleep, or sleep deprivation due to hectic schedules that do not allow you to get enough sleep, there are various recommendations from the experts that will have you dreaming sweet dreams every night:
- Develop a regular routine. Go to sleep at the same time and wake up at the same time each day
- Exercise every day, but wrap up your workout at least 3 hours before bedtime
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and nicotine before bed
- Take a hot bath before bed to help you relax
- Create a soothing sleep environment
- Do not use electronic devices too close to bedtime
CBD AND SLEEP
In support of healthy sleep habits, Mellow Road CBD offers several sleep products:
- Mellow Road CBD Well Rested Sleep Tincture with CBD, CBN and melatonin
- Mellow Road CBD Well Rested Sleep Formula Capsules with CBN, melatonin, valerian root, and chamomile
- Mellow Road CBD Gummies in Citrus and Mixed Berry flavor
- Mellow Road CBD Bath Bombs and Bath Salts with CBD and soothing essential oils added to a hot bath
In this article, we will compare and contrast some different ways to take CBD, including CBD tinctures, CBD capsules, CBD gummies and CBD bath products. These are only a handful of the many types of CBD products available at Mellow Road CBD. Hopefully, once you have all of this information, you will be able to decide which form suits your lifestyle best.
THE IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP
We all need a healthy sleep pattern to support our daily activities and, of course, our overall wellness. Sleep is one of the most important functions of your body and going without it, or having even one night of broken or insufficient sleep, can disrupt your mood, impair your cognitive function, and ruin what might have been a wonderful day. Many people end up missing days and weeks of work due to insufficient sleep and this leads to financial stress and low self-esteem.
Getting enough sleep every night helps us fight off sickness and disease. Sleep Improves our cognitive function and helps us concentrate and focus on our jobs and our families. Even one sleepless night can throw off your routine and make you feel foggy or confused. Sleeplessness makes us feel lazy and sluggish and we can’t keep up with our exercise routines. It is hard to even maintain enough energy to make it through the day. Your friends and family may notice that you are not yourself and you may even be crabby. Sometimes you treat others badly because you do not feel good.
Let’s take a deeper dive into the list of ideas you can try to improve your sleep.
As we said above, several things can be responsible for causing a lack of sleep. Anxiety, depression, pain and even being nervous or excited for something that is happening the next day may keep you staring at the ceiling all night long.
- An environment that is noisy, crowded, unorganized, too hot or too cold can all impact our ability to sleep. Some people need a fan for white noise, while others need it to be completely quiet. You may prefer a heavy comforter or a weighted blanket. Experiment with what factors contribute to a good night’s sleep. Once you discover your preferred sleeping environment, try not to vary from it.
- Some people have trouble slowing down their mind and bodies at the end of the day. It is a good idea to create a sense of calmness before bed. This can be done by taking a hot bath (with one of our bath bombs or bath salts) turning the lights down low and letting your mind and body start to relax. Some people do yoga or stretches to unwind and focus on slowing down. Deep breathing and relaxing meditations are a good idea too. While exercising is good for us, it is recommended that you stop any exercising 2 hours before bed to help you get ready for sleep.
- Electronic devices… technology is wonderful and entertaining, but most of us have an overload of information coming at us all day long. Turn off all devices (your phone, laptop, tablet, television) at least one hour before bed and do some reading instead. Stop checking your text messages or your social media accounts. None of those things will promote relaxation and rest.
- Do not eat meals too close to bedtime. Your food needs time to digest before you lay down. Smoking nicotine and consuming alcohol or caffeine too close to bedtime can also interfere with sleep and make it difficult for your body to relax.
OUR INTERNAL BIOLOGICAL CLOCK
The items mentioned above may all interfere with our circadian rhythm. Circadian rhythms are 24-hour cycles like a biological clock that regulates the ability of our bodies to carry out essential functions and processes. One of the most important circadian rhythms is the sleep-wake cycle.
Our internal systems follow circadian rhythms that are synchronized with a biological clock in our brain. This master clock can be affected by the amount of light in our environment. Our brain equates light with being awake and dark with going to sleep. Our bodies naturally produce a sleep hormone called melatonin as nighttime approaches. Melatonin causes us to become sleepy. Melatonin is a key ingredient in many sleep medications and CBD products for sleep.
When our this circadian rhythm is disrupted, it can create sleeping problems, including insomnia. Research is also revealing that circadian rhythms play an important role in our physical and mental health. A healthy circadian rhythm is necessary to fall asleep, stay asleep and sleep soundly.
DIFFERENT FORMS OF CBD
When it comes to taking CBD, there are a wide variety of CBD products to choose from. Since there are so many choices, you can be assured that you will find the type of product that best fits your needs and is easiest to add to your daily routine. You will probably find several products that you enjoy and then you can even combine them.
Let’s begin with CBD Oil Tinctures. The CBD Oil tinctures come in a small bottle with a dropper, similar to those used in liquid medications for small children. To use the tincture, simply fill the dropper with the desired amount of oil and squirt it under your tongue. Try to hold it under your tongue for 2 minutes before swallowing.
There are several benefits to using CBD tinctures. For one, our full spectrum and broad spectrum tinctures come in several delicious flavors including natural, orange, peppermint and cherry vanilla. The taste is pleasant, not too hempy, and it does not leave an aftertaste. Our Well Rested Sleep Tincture with 1000 mg of CBD and 50 mg of CBN along with melatonin is the perfect blend.
Another advantage of using a tincture is that you can control the amount of CBD that you take. Our tinctures come in 500mg , 1000mg, 1500mg, 2500mg, and 3500mg. From there you can adjust the dosages even further by using 1/4 of a dropper, 1/2 of a dropper or 3/4 of a dropper. This allows you to pinpoint the exact amount that works best for you.
The beauty of it is that you can create your own regimen that best suits your life style and wellness goals. Not everyone will require the same dosage. The fact that we all are different sizes, have different metabolisms and our own unique natural endocannabinoid system, also impacts the amount of CBD we need to feel the effects.
You should take the tinctures 30 minutes to 1 hour before bedtime, but as we said before, each person is unique, so experiment to see how soon before bed you should take it to optimize falling asleep and staying asleep.
Another very popular form of CBD is the capsule form. Each capsule comes with a pre measured amount of CBD, so unlike the tinctures, you cannot modify the amount in each individual capsule. You can, however, modify the number of capsules you take. Capsules are easy to take on the go, just as tinctures. Simply drink a full glass of water with the capsule to help dissolve it. The capsules do not have a flavor and go down easily.
Our Sleep Support Capsules contain chamomile, melatonin, and valerian root along with our broad spectrum premium CBD. It is recommended that you take the sleep capsule 30 minutes before bed. As we said with the tinctures, you may modify that to fit your needs.
CBD Gummies have become very popular over the last several years due to their sweet taste and chewy texture. They are available in many flavors and dosages. Like capsules, the dosage is pre measured and added to the gummie. This guarantees that the dosage is consistent and takes the guesswork out of managing dosages on your own.
Our gummies are delicious and come in Citrus and Mixed Berry flavors for your enjoyment. Each gummie contains 30 mg of CBD and are THC free.
Gummies take longer to work than tinctures or capsules. They have to go all the way through the digestive system, into the liver before entering the bloodstream and taking effect. This process can span 30, 60, and even 90 minutes. If you are taking them to help with sleep you can experiment with the best time to take them. Depending on your size, metabolism and your individual chemical makeup, CBD may take shorter or longer to work.
CBD BATH AND BODY PRODUCTS
One of the most indulgent ways to experience CBD is to soak in a tub of soothing bath salts and essential oils with CBD. This has become a night time ritual with many people who suffer from insomnia and other sleep disorders. Bath salts and bath bombs are simple to use and come in many soothing scents.
Our bath bombs come in strengths of 100 or 200 mg of CBD and are available in lavender, eucalyptus and rose/white musk.
Our bath salts are made with 100 mg of CBD along with arnica montana flower extract, white willow bark extract and butterfly pea flower extract.
TO SUM THINGS UP
At Mellow Road CBD, there are many options when it comes to CBD for sleep. Tinctures, capsules, gummies and bath products are the products we have covered in this article. You may find that you prefer one product over another or you may decide to use both at different times or even combining them.
- offer the ability to adjust or customize the dosage. This is nice because we are all different. Our size, metabolic rate and our health and wellness needs affect how much CBD we need. We also have our own internal endocannabinoid system.
- come in several strengths to further customize the dosage you need.
- available in four different flavors, including natural, orange, peppermint and cherry vanilla.
- dosage is pre measured and in the form of a capsule which is good if you want a precise amount of CBD every time you take it.
- convenient and easy to take with a glass of water with no need to worry about measuring out the dose.
- if you prefer to have a flavorless option to take your CBD, the capsules are nice because they have no flavor. You simply swallow them with a glass of water.
- pre-measured dosages to take out the guesswork
- convenient and easy to take on the go . You can throw a bottle in your purse or backpack.
- delicious sweet taste
- take a little longer to start working because they have to be digested
BATH BOMBS AND BATH SALTS
- can be added to a hot bath
- soothing, pleasant scents from added essential oils to add to the experience
- pre-measured amount of CBD in the bath bombs and salts to allow for consistency of CBD
Our hope is that this article has helped you and offered good tips to help you on your wellness journey. Sleep has such an important role in our wellness and quality of life.
It is always a good idea to check with your health care provider before beginning to use CBD products. Your health care team knows your medical history and can help steer you through your journey towards optimal physical and mental health.
Rest assured that all of our products are organic, vegan, non-GMO, and that every batch is tested to ensure the amount of CBD is what is printed on the label. Each product contains no more than .3 % THC.
From all of us at Mellow Road CBD
We wish you sweet dreams…